Sunday, June 06, 2004

Long Live Diversity

So it's been an interesting week. I've wanted to post a few times but didn't get the opportunity. So for a while I was wondering, what should I finally write about. Bahira doing stuff, Cristina brazenly teifiscating my shrimp, Jbo's Mike Tyson stuff. But, once again McDonald's loitering proved most suitable for this Black Log entry.

There we were, the five high school friends looking like the United Nations. Kenny, who's chinese, Vrej, who's Armenian, Rez from Bangladesh, Justin of Welsh/Lebanese descent and me of Trinidadian descent. So we're doing our usual late night McD's ranting and raving when some drunken cop from Sorel comes up and decides to talk to us about ethnic diversity and of course, the French language and how it's in danger of being lost.

In french he would start off by saying, "Hey... I'm not racist... homophobic... I don't care if you're ummmm (brow furrowing as he looks at kenny) Vietnamese???... (looks at Vrej) I don't know... Jewish? (Rezaul) Indian? (looks at me) Ethiopian???"

Rez really got into it! We all had our two cents to say on the subject. And after a stretch of about 15 minutes, the drunken cop's brain seemed to reboot... "Hey... I'm no racist! I don't care if you're ... Japanese...ummm... Greek... Hindi... Miscellaneous... Black... guy with dreads...?" Watching him struggle to guess our races was very entertaining. He must have done it 3 times for the night.

Anyway, I live for moments like that. It's always interesting to hear how different people think, and what better way than to talk to them while drunk? The guy seemed nuts to me, but I suppose there are lots of people who think like him. I mean... I'm not a racist... or a homophobe... But cops from Sorel are so gay!

No comments: