Friday, October 01, 2004

I, Masta

So, one of the oddest things about starting a master's degree, is that I have to be a teacher's assistant. I gave a list of choices of classes I would like to be a TA for. Somewhere at the bottom of that list was the Genetics class. I like genetics and everything, but I knew it would be the most work. I have to quiz the students every week, and give them an assignment question. Then we have a two hour problem solving session, where they solve problems in groups and ask me questions.

So far so good, but last thursday I wasn't very well prepared. I haven't taken this class in a few years and definately don't remember it very well. So, what to do, when you know nothing and the students think you know something? I could only smile and nod to so many questions during the 4 hours I had to TA. I drew on the knowledge of previous TA's I've had in the past. There are a vast, vast store of responses that divert attention from one's ignorance.

But it occured to me that only 3 maximum 4 responses are necessary. As such, I predict that in the near future, human TA's will no longer be necessary. All students will need is a tape recorder that loops those three responses over and over again. I figure for a more personal feeling, a paper plate with a picture of my face could be propped against this tape recorder, so the students will still feel like they're interacting with something. I can imagine what such an exchange would be like.

Student: "Ummm... Sir? How do you solve question #18?"
Greggbot: "How do you think you solve it?"
Student: "I don't know, that's why I'm asking you!"
Greggbot: "You should solve it on your own!"
Student: "I can't! I'm lost!"
Greggbot: "I'm Chris Gregg, the TA! Good luck on your exam!"
Student: "What??? I need help with this problem!!!"
Greggbot: "How do you think you solve it?"
Student: "Shut up!!! I hate you Greggbot I hate you!!!!"
Greggbot: "You should solve it on your own..."

I could only hope that such a sophisticated mechanation would not become self aware and take over the world. Could you imagine an army of self aware Greggbots? What if they evolved to actually help students? TA's like me would become obsolete!!!! I can just see Greggbot, filthy rich, lying in bed with my wife, my money... my life!!!! I HATE YOU GREGGBOT!!!

Technology is like a double edged sword. But you know what's more like a two-edged sword? One of those blade thingies with two edges... I think they're called super knives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes - super knives.
I've got a couple of those.
- Baz