Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Can't get no respect...

Unfortunately in the lab, we have a new centrifuge machine. What's a centrifuge? you may be asking. A centrifuge is like a big washing machine. It has a rotor inside of it, where you place tubes for purposes of spinning them at ridiculously high speeds. Why would you want to spin stuff at ridiculous speeds? You might be wondering. Cuz scientists do stuff like that for purposes of purifying samples of... things... In our case we purify parts of yeast cells. Here's a picture of one!



So, what do I hate about our new centrifuge? Many things, but mainly, I hate that one of the rotors always gets stuck in the machine. And then I have to go tell the professor that it's stuck and he would come and pull it out. So it hapenned again this week. Bahira hapenned to be there, getting ice in the adjacent room. She implied that I wasn't strong enough to pull it out myself! Actually maybe she didn't really have to say anything. I felt weak. I mean, is my supervisor really stronger than me? So I began feebly pulling at the rotor... It wouldn't come out... During my mad tugging I think Bahira left, and I went defeated to inform the professor of the stuck rotor. After explaining that it was stuck he said, "That's okay... I suppose removing it would require force that you are... uncomfortable in applying...."

WOAH!!!!!! What's even worse than the fact that he thinks I'm weak, is the fact that he pitied me so much, he had to be tactful about it. Uncomfortable in applying? Just say you think I'm too scrawny to pull the damn thing out!!! So I started making excuses, "I think it gets frozen, cuz we spin it at 4 degrees! So by the time you get there, it's warmer, and you can pull it out!" Professor: "Whatever, I'll pull it out later!"

Now just cuz I'm skinny, doesn't mean I'm weak. Anyone can tell you! MastaCSG is the most underestimated muscle man this side of south central! These guns are capable of great things. In a rage, I ran to the centrifuge room, where another colleague from the lab was working with a smaller centrifuge. I started pulling at the rotor again. She laughed. "Dr. Titorenko is strong!" she said with a laugh, and then left, me still pulling at the rotor.

Finally, indignation overcame me, and with one mighty tug, I ripped the rotor out of the centrifuge and held it in the air like Excalibur!!!! That's right!!! REPRESENT!

I went back to tell the professor. What does he say? "Oh, see, EVEN YOU can pull the rotor out! Well, I didn't mean to say even you... I meant... you can pull the rotor out..."

:-(

Can't get no respect...

On a sadder note, Rodney Dangerfield passed away. He's one of those celebrities I'll miss knowing was around. Oh well...

No comments: