Tuesday, May 24, 2005

"Yuck! I'll just take the crab juice!"

Ever had a day that just wouldn't end? That day was last thursday for me. And it started off so well. I showed up for work at 11am, as I am often wont to do. And the professor said, "Well, there isn't much for you to do today. Just calculate the oxygen consumption for these yeast strains and go home!"

Sweet! That should only take about 20 minutes. Of course, I had to wait for my supervisor to draw the slopes for the oxygen consumption. Seeing as he was busy, I ended up waiting about an hour.

No big deal, still plenty of day left. After I had lunch and spoke to the secretary about getting a swipe card it was about 3pm. Wow... 3pm already! Time flies!!!

So I took the bus to the metro for some sweet relaxation at home. But the metro was stalled for an indefinite amount of time. Bleh! The available detour took about an hour and a half. Oh well, on the way home I met someone I hadn't seen in years who was a teacher for blind and mute children. Needless to say her experiences were very interesting. Most surprising was whereby she finished work looking bright and chipper, I usually leave work feeling like a train wreck.

At this point it was already well past 4pm. Going back to the South Shore was a rather foolish endeavor seeing as I wanted to go downtown again to make my Kali class (philipino martial art). Beeing slightly dazed and jaded and confused I went back to the Shore anyway, with the intention of getting a Lightsaber at Walmart. I would be a super star if I busted into Episode 3 wielding a blue lightsaber with all the noises and the lights and the *GlaVEn*!!!

So I took the 49 bus back to Walmart, and met a former coworker of mine. She asked, "Going to Walmart? What for???"

I was most ashamed to be searching out a lightsaber so I said, "Oh... I'm... ummm... Looking for a gift for my sister... Any suggestions?" I did in fact need a gift for my sister. No need to get into any impromptu lightsaber convos.

Of all things she suggests I buy her an agenda? "Hey that's a good idea!" I exclaimed, then moments later contemplated the level of dissapointment that would ensue if my sister actually did recieve an agenda. So I did actually look at the agendas at Walmart when I remembered my true purpose. LIGHTSABER!! Sister shmister...

Walmart had no lightsabershowever (they actually had some creedless foam lightsabers but.. who cares?)... :-( So I made the long trip back into town. At this point I was very thirsty. I decided to spend 5 $ on one of those specialty juices at that place in Bonaventure. I decided to be adventurous. What do I do? I buy a Carrot, apple and ginger juice. What the hell was I thinking? I took a sip of it and my face contorted in horror. It was so awful I could only take about 4 sips before chucking the thing into the trash. I was truly appauled... At whoever decided ginger would taste good with carrot and apple, and at myself for actually buying something so ridiculous. 5$ well spent.

There was still time to kill. I went to the Bay, and went up the 4-5... 6?? flights of stairs to the toy department. It never fails to amaze me how huge the bay downtown is. Anyway, they had lightsabers there, but none that made cool noises. I still played with it. There were some older people there who tried to avert their gaze as I disgraced myself. So I passed on that. And went to my martials arts class. On the way home I missed several buses, and got home much later than I expected.

And that was my neverending day. If you have read up to this point, I'm impressed.

*Revenge of the Sith Review*

So I actually ended up seeing Revenge of the Sith on Friday (bereft of lightsaber). And was pleasantly surprised. More or less. I mean the movie was still utterly cheesy (bad lines, bad acting), but compared to the first two, it was a masterpiece. Rez would argue that the lines were cheesy in Eps IV to VI but I disagree.

General Grievous was a huge dissapointment. In the cartoons he was ominous and terrifying. In the movie he was comical and quite frankly useless.

Another dissapointment was Anakin actually turning to the darkside. They give a good reason, but the actual point at which he turns is silly. Whether the scene fell flat because of bad acting or bad writing I can't decide. But it definately did. I guess I can't say anymore without spoiling the movie.

This movie was very grim compared to the first two and therein lies the movies saving grace. Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan. He is the only believable character in the entire trilogy. All the darkness and disturbing connotations of the film would have been for nothing if not for Obi Wan. He's the only one who seems genuinely shocked and hurt by the way things have gone so badly. Maybe cuz he's the only one who can act. It also made for a very good ending to the movie. Where I expected George Lucas to force feed us some very contrived action scenes where spaceships and lightsabers and robots come together in some orgy of cartoon like violence, the movie actually climaxed on a somewhat emotional note.

Don't get me wrong, we still get our lightsabers and action and then some. But the movie still conveyed the tragedy of Anakin's fall to the darkside making this movie, good. It's also very interesting to watch Episode IV after that. You can't look at Darth Vader in the same way.

In short, Episode III redeems Eps I and II which were at best, mediocre Saturday morning cartoons.

*Today's post was brought to you from the lab as my interenet at home is not working for some reason... nyarr....*

No comments: