Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Moi, c'est le ghetto dans mon jacques cartier

It's been over a year since I've been living on my own. The conditions have been steadily deteriorating since new management took over. The last straw for me was the lack of heat on several occasions. So I called the building manager, yelled at him and sent a registered letter. Not more than a week afterward, the manager was fired and the old janitors were replaced.

Too good to be true? Of course... I rejoiced on Saturday when gales of heat fountained out of the radiators. I was pleased when some... random... old guy came to my apartment to make sure the heat was working. But I was somewhat confused with why the janitor was there. The janitor is an Indian guy, pleasant enough with a typical indian accent. He's probably about 30 years old. He usually smells of cigarette smoke.

So the random old guy checks the radiators and approves. The janitor is suddenly looking at my movie collection. "You like movies?" he asks... I respond that I do. He then starts reading titles. "I love movies... My entire storage space is filled with movies... Anytime you need anything just let me know... Have you seen that movie... The Inner... Man... Insider? Man.. With ... Dezzel....actor..."

Anyway, he goes on about his creepy movie obsession and then leaves. Later that evening, the doorbell rings. Someone shows up at the door in a Domino's Pizza uniform. I didn't order any pizza. I open the door, not recognizing the goofy guy at first. Of course it's the janitor, allegedly here to check the radiator again. sigh... He busts in and finally asks what he's been dying to ask me all along. He wants to borrow movies. Damn... it begins...

He borrows Anchorman and Bad Boys 2. Fine whatever.

Today is November 1st. He wants the rent of course. I see him in the hallway bringing a couch downstairs he tells me he'll be up in 20 minutes to get the rent. He shows up at the door, I have the check ready. I intend to just give him the check and go back to my business. He returns anchorman and bad boys 2. But the poor janitor is now thirsty.

Janitor: "Hey... do you have a glass of water?"
Me: "Actually I..."

By the time I turn around he's already perusing my movie collection again. At least he takes off his shoes. I hand him a glass of water (a glass which will be discarded).

Janitor: "Do you like Blade movies??"

Oh no... Not blade... My favourite vampire hunter... My hero.

Me: "Yeah, I love them... Not so much the 3rd one but it was still good."
Janitor: "Could I borrow Charlie's Angels and Blade 1 and 2 and 3."
Me (scandalized): "How about you try borrowing 2 at a time for starters."
Janitor: "Okay, Charlie's Angels and Blade 1 and 2. I'll bring them back tomorrow."

I"m thinking that's still 3 movies. But whatever... He brought back the last movies and I really just want him to get the hell out. "Fine, fine..." Then he starts offering me stuff, "Do you need a clothes umm... cupboard? Some night tables?"

Me: "Ummm... I... don't... know..."
Janitor: "Do you need mission impossible 3? 5$!!! I get hooked up because I run a video blablablablabla..."

5$ for mission impossible 3?? How about 0$ and you get out??? What the hell is going on here? When did this man become a part of my life?? I thanked him for his generosity and ushered him out of the house. But here's what really bothered me.

1) He's borrowing my movies
2) He's burning them and running some illegal movie piracy business
3) He has the brass balls to charge me 5$ for a pirated movie???

It is official. This building is now the archetype for all things ghetto. I really want this to end. The rent is good though. The apartment is nice. It's hard to give up. But... it just feels so wrong to be part of this guy's little movie piracy hustle. Especially since he's not giving me a cut. What do I do? Confront him? Or just wait until he has gone through my entire movie collection so he'll lose interest in me? What a bother...

No comments: