Sunday, January 25, 2009

Begging to be begged: The story of Masta's loafers

My policy on giving money to people on the streets has fluctuated over the years. When I was young, I thought it was nice to give a few cents to people in need. Then I became vehemently opposed to giving money and no one could get a penny from me. After spending some time with my pseudo-wives, I had a technique. I would judge how poor these men actually were, by looking at their shoes. Only women could inspire something so brilliant. If their shoes looked ragged enough, I would give them money. I was surprised to find that most of the people who were begging for money had nicer shoes than me. Of course, considering I've been wearing the same loafers for about 5 years, maybe I shouldn't be.


Now I'm back at a place where I sometimes give money to beggers on the street. Which is why I was somewhat surprised on the way back from the movies the other day. There was a tatooed, body pierced young man going around asking people for money at the metro. He'd go from person to person, enduring rejection after rejection.


"Oh, here it comes!" I told my friend, rolling my eyes. He looked at me briefly and then asked the guy next to me for money. He skipped me!


Me: "Did you see that?"
Friend: "What?"
Me: "That beggar just snubbed me!"
Friend: "Maybe he thought you wouldn't give him any money."
Me: "Why would he think that? He asked People who had their back turned to him. some of them scowled at him! It's not a race thing either. Look he's asking Black people too!"
Friend: "What...? Did you want to give him money?"
Me: "No.... but it's still nice to be asked!"

I briefly considered asking him why he decided not to ask me for money. Was it my posture? Did it look like I didn't have any money? I mean.. The nerve. If you're going to be a beggar, be thorough! He doesn't know, I could be the most generous man on earth. I might have given him 10$ maybe 20$!

Whatever, who needs him anyway? I've been begged by the best. Amputees, people with dogs, people bold enough to say they'll spend my money on alcohol. I've been mugged by a guy with a banana! And this guy at the metro thinks HE's too good to ask ME for money? That is to laugh. Of course, maybe he just took a good hard look at my 5 year old beige loafers and felt pity on me. Maybe I should consider a career in panhandling.

Now wearing these old shoes has become almost a challenge. It's as if the universe is daring me to get rid of them. Those who know me, know I wear these shoes almost 365 days a year, rain, sun and snow the beige loafers are part of me now. I even bought a new pair of shoes a year or two ago, to replace them. They were a lot nicer than these beige loafers. But I spilled general tao chicken on them and they've never been the same.

So, much like Darth Vader's cape, Winnie the Pooh's red T-shirt, or Dr. Octopus's arms, I will bear these loafers ever more. Keep an eye out for them next time you go out with MastaCSG!

3 comments:

jonsol said...

Your story sounds a lot like something that would happen to Larry David.

Masta said...

This whole blog is to see if the world is ready for a Larry David style, Chris Gregg sitcom.

Vrej said...

I love the use of loafers. Who even says that? Brilliant.