Saturday, August 07, 2004

The End of an Era 2

So they're gone. The Dreadlocks are finally gone. It was a good run while it lasted. I can remember the first week, when strange questions and requests about my dreadlocks were abundant. ie. Do you wash them? How do you do that? I'm white, can I get dreads?
Or my all time favourite: "Did you know when Bob Marley died, they found hundreds of different species of insects in his head?"

And why is it when dreads are involved all social etiquette goes out the window? I mean, since when is it acceptable to just touch someone's hair? And it doesn't matter if I say, "No, don't touch my hair!" I have no choice. It's as if my dreadlocks are public property.

Person says: "Wow!! Dreads are so cool!! Can I touch them?"
Me: "Actually, there's beeswax in them and it might..."
Person: "This is some f**ked up repugnant, STICKY s**t!!!! What do you put in this s**t? F**K!!!!"
Me: "Thank you..."

Well, removing the dreads was no less awkard. My dad brought his scissors and electric razors. Unfortunately everyone was in the house at the time. My mom, my two sisters and even my dad's cousin watched as dad removed the dreads. My mom was getting her hair done by one sister, and my other sister was content just standing there watching, providing commentary. The following dialogue is a dramatization (slightly dramatized)

Mom: "It's about time!! It will look a lot neater once they're off!"
Sister: "I like you better with the dreads."
Dad: "YOUR SCALP IS ACTUALLY BLEEDING!!!"
Me: "It burns."
Dad: "I thought you washed your hair? What is all this?"
Mom: "It's not so bad... Could you do something about his eyebrows?"
Dad: "Your hair seems thinner on top... You know, my dad is balding."
Sister: "EWWWW.... I really do like you better with dreads!"
Dad: "Oops! Nicked ya again!"
Mom: "Take the razor to his eyebrows!!"
Me: "NO!"
Mom: "They're bushy!!!"
Dad: "You know, I could just trim..."
Me: "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

I don't know how long it took, but when it was all said and done, I had shaven eyebrows and no more dreads. When I went to wash my stubly head, it burned so badly I wanted to scream out loud. It was quite an unpleasant experience.

Anyway, those dreads were a year and a half in the making. Now they're all gone!!!! Another phase has come to an end. Oh well!

I'm off to China now! I don't know if I'll get a chance to update while I'm there, but be sure to check the Black Log for some zany stories from China! Or at least... semi-zany... Or not... We'll see...

No comments: